woensdag 20 november 2013

Mountains & defeat

Fleeing the tourist hotspot that is Marrakech, I thought I would have a go climbing the 'Jebel Toubkal'. I kind of minimised the fact that it is the highest mountain in all of North Africa and that it's nearly winter time. But when I arrived in Imlil and spoke to someone that just returned from the top, I realised that it was not for me, at least not this time.


Today the weather was fine, but only yesterday it snowed, and as they told me that nighttime temperatures at basecamp were -10° and windchill temperature at the top was -20°, I thought it would be best to not even try and just have a nice walk about halfway up to basecamp. That way I could be back at the car around 15u and drive back off the mountain to an altitude where I could bushcamp without freezing.


I  had a great time on the five hour walk, but unfortunately I didn't even get a glimpse of the Toubkal. I had to turn around at about 2500 m, still 2 hours from basecamp. All this time the track was going straight up and I found it to be hard going.
After returning to the car, I drove down to Asni, where I found a quite place to sleep. But at midnight I found myself surrounded by a large pack of wild dogs, howling all night. Luckily they where quite scared of me, and skirmished as soon as opended the side door.
Now I'm in Taghazout, North of Agadir, waiting for Luke and Ben. As soon they arrive, we will be going ever more South...

1 opmerking:

  1. :-) :-) 't ziet er daar weer heel goed uit! Leuk filmpke ook.
    Keep save!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen